Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Quantifying the effect of the ground

2 posters

Go down

Quantifying the effect of the ground Empty Quantifying the effect of the ground

Post  spock Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 am

Hi there! Reading TFL rules I found some problem in quantifying the effect of ground or, in case of cavalry, the trot or similar, on the subsequent attack: Exemple One, at pag. 42, makes reference to a 20 minutes trot causing the squadron to be 'shaken' and, later, to the disadvantage to attack downhill. In wich way is it possible to quantify these conditions, in terms of Index Points? I found something in the Appendix but ....... Thanks, Paolo

spock

Back to top Go down

Quantifying the effect of the ground Empty Re: Quantifying the effect of the ground

Post  Martin Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:57 pm

I think it's a question of judgement.  That's a key difference between kriegsspiel and say a commercially-produced boardgame, where the rules attempt to cover every eventuality.

Although sometimes played for entertainment, the game was primarily designed to train junior officers in preparation for commanding larger bodies of troops later in their career.  More senior regimental officers would have been on hand to give rulings in cases where the effect was not obvious to everyone.

In your first example, a body of cavalry would obviously have been at full efficiency if they had not been exerting themselves over a significant period just prior to the charge.  And yes, somewhat counter-intuitively, a charge downhill could give rise to disorder, as it went against a horse's natural instincts and meant maintaining formation was more difficult.  

But exactly how much of a slope did there need to be before that became an issue?  In such situations, the umpire needs to give a ruling, and the players need to accept it.  The willingness of all parties to buy into this is key to running a game.  Whichever player(s) takes the role of umpire, needs to be respected by the players so that disputes are unlikely to arise.  

If you are running a game, it's a good idea to do a couple of things:

1. resolve all combat away from the players and simply report the results.  Do not give them detail on die-rolls and any adjustments

2. leave any question or discussion of umpiring decisions until the debrief.  That both means the game can continue without interruption, and any subsequent discussion can take place over tea & crumpets in an atmosphere of zen-like calmness Smile

Hope that helps

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  spock Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 am

Dear Martin,
thanks for Your very appreciated and exhaustive answer! As You easily can understand, this is my first approach to this kind of game and I need to be cleansed of years of classic boardgames! Thanks again, Paolo

spock

Back to top Go down

Quantifying the effect of the ground Empty Re: Quantifying the effect of the ground

Post  Martin Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:42 am

You're welcome Paolo

Where are you based? Are you aiming to get a group together to play? Do let us know how you get on.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  spock Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 am

Dear Martin,
I live in Italy, San Vincenzo (Livorno), Tuscany, but I work in Pisa. Best, Paolo

spock

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:48 pm

A lovely part of the word. We had 2 weeks holiday there 20 years ago. Lucca was my favourite town, I think, with the ramparts and a fine piazza.

Good luck with your kriegsspieling. We do have some long-standing (occasional) Italian players, but I think they are all based in Rome.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  spock Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Yes, Lucca is a very little beautiful city. Let me know if You decide to visit this part of the world again. Best, Paolo

spock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down