Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain

3 posters

Go down

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Empty East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I have started map modding with baby steps. I've taken the 2.5 mile East Cavalry Field map from Gettysburg which we've ported over to Waterloo and we already have a Spanish-themed minimap for it.

I started by deleting all the American style fences. Next I began replacing the colonial pattern buildings with Mediterranean-looking ones from Crikey's Italy and Crimea maps. I've previously sought and obtained Crikey's permission to use his objects in any KS map-modding project.

Here's a new farm complex depicting the holdings of a fairly affluent farmer.

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain NewFarmComplex

[See location 1 on the map]

Next, the small hamlet of Seza has become a larger town with a sizeable church:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Seza_Rebuilt

[See location 2 on the map]

Last significant change so far, a peasant small holding:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain PeasantFarmstead

[See location 3 on the map]

Main map:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Nap_Spain_ECF_KS_mods

I have only used objects from the Crimea and Italy mods so far but I have run into my first problem - the Italy buildings use the shadow lighting system; the Crimea ones do not, so some buildings are brightly lit from all directions while others are very dark from some directions. I presume we need to access the 3D model properties to change this? Or can we do so via the map editor tools?

Shadow variations:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Shadow_Problem

After I've finished with buildings and bridges, changing the ground textures is the next task. After that, vegetation.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Empty Re: East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Those look quite good and a nice improvement over what we currently have. Maybe the shadowing can be adjusted when you right click on a selected building and select properties. Regardless, it's certainly not a show stopper.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Empty Re: East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm

I'd like to fix it if I can. The effect is more apparent in-game: the "day-glo" church looks like its lit up by the love of God among a town of sinners!

I will continue to investigate.

Further down my list is to make the churches and the walled farms into forts but that's not a priority task. Its also important to leave some space among the buildings in towns. The settlements need clutter as well... so much to do...
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I seem to have found my modding niche! I am enjoying this a lot and find it very easy, though time-consuming. I have done a lot of "world-building" style work in train simulators between 2000 and 2010 and making battlefields in SoW is a very similar experience, almost identical in fact.

I have now replaced all the American buildings on ECF with Spanish/Italian style ones. Phil, if you are looking for bridges there are two excellent ones -one in the Crimea.dat file and one in the Italy.dat file. I know you have these as we played an MP game with Miko on an Italian map some months ago and the Crimea.dat file ships with the Spanish Montana Segrada and Rio Espanol maps. The bridges are "Sp_bridge" and "SP_Bridge2". I've put jpegs of their appearance in the Dropbox object library/bridges section.

I have made some alterations to a few other settlements. Kevin, I have made up a new minimap and would ask if you can add new names and courier locations for the 3 new settlements numbered 4, 5 and 6.

Some pics of progress:

Penalva rebuilt. This is the scene of many fights on this map over the two river crossings. The new Spanish bridges fit in very well.

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Penalva_Rebuilt

[See location 7 on the map]

Lerida rebuilt:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Lerida_Rebuilt

[See location 8 on the map]

Part of the new Balaguer (now with front steps to houses!)

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Front_Steps

[See location 9 on the map]

Seza changed a bit by removing the day-glo church and substituting another. Clutter now added (church yard wall, carts, water pump, horse troughs, boxes and baskets):

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Seza_Rebuilt_Details_Added

[See location 2 on the map]

The farm complex in the south-centre finished:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain NewFarmComplexComplete

[See location 1 on the map]

Minimap:

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain Nap_Spain_ECF_KS_mods2
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Great what you are doing here, Martin.

I presume we can't get access to the Waterloo buildings? What buildings has Mark used for his Mickel map and could we get hold of them?

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Mike. Thanks for your comments.

Yes, all the WL buildings are available. My conversion uses them as reskinned by Crikey for his Italy maps. In one of the pics below you'll see the very useful Waterloo stone bridge that gets used at Plancenoit and other places. Mark used the WL buildings unchanged for Meckel. There are also snowy-roofed versions Crikey converted for his Smolensk map so we have a good library of things to choose from. We can probably cover most regions of mainland Europe except for Germany with its typical half-timbered steeply pitched roofed buildings. I've approached someone in the modding community to enquire if they could make us a few of that type.

We played a game on the map last night which helped me to see a few building placement errors I can tidy up. There's a few more things I want to do to the map but it was mostly a project to learn how to work with maps so I'm not going to spend too much time on it.

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain SpainECF034

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain SpainECF039

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain SpainECF040

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain SpainECF001

East Cavalry Field conversion to Spain SpainECF002
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down