Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

SOW Scenario Generator

+18
mmarchi
Jakmin
DumpTruck
Miko77
Vincent6691
Thunder1971
parmenio
Charmead
Martin
gehrig38
stephen
Grog
rschilla
pancerni
CaptainAndrew
Mr. Digby
skelos
Uncle Billy
22 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

SOW Scenario Generator - Page 2 Empty Re: SOW Scenario Generator

Post  stephen Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 am

Hi been enjoying playing KS Mod, but thought I would like to make up some scenario's of my own.

Been following your instructions step by step.I have not altered postioning of troops....Just placed Divisions on map. I then placed the new scenario in the KS Mod section "Scenarios".
I then load the game up. Go into user scenarios. Load up new scenario and the game crashes.

Am I missing a step or steps ? I must say I am not no computer wizard. My wife who also had a try also got the same result. I did look in the sowwl log, at the bottom it says error level not found.

I am probaly missing something very simple, but appreciate any help, thanks for reading. Here is a copy of the log.

08:26:11 Version:SOWWL
08:26:17 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KS SOW Supplemental Maps118
08:26:17 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KSSpritesMod 106
08:26:17 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KS Napoleon Mod II 127
08:26:17 Ansi:16, TexH:16384, TexW:16384
08:26:17 SowWL Loaded
08:26:17 08:26:17
08:26:36 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KS SOW Supplemental Maps118
08:26:36 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KSSpritesMod 106
08:26:36 Mod: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SCOURGE OF WAR WATERLOO\Mods\KS Napoleon Mod II 127
08:26:36 Loading New Scenario
08:26:36 Load your muskets...
08:26:36 08:26:36
08:26:36 Loading New Scenario
08:26:36 Loading Map (Nap_Spain_ECF)
08:26:36 PR: (ERROR) Level not found

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 am

Found out what I've been doing wrong......Didn't put the OOBs and maps in the Scenario Generator folder.

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Sorry folks, but here I go again.

After finally successfully getting the scenario generator fully working on SOWWL I wanted to do the same on SOWGB but I am totally flumoxed.

I've downloaded the scenario generator and put it into the Work folder in SOWGB but not having any joy. Do I have to put the KS Napoleon Mods onto SOWGB? I did that and created a scenario but it just instantly crashed. Is there a pathway I need to follow once a scenario is created i.e. where do I actually put it so that it launches. I am not a computer whizz and I just can't grasp what the pathway is as it is different than running the scenario generator on SOWWL where it easily shows where the new scenario sits in relation to the other KS Scenarios in folders and on the game screen.

Any guidance most gratefully received before my wife strangles me!!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm

The KS Napoleon mod will only work with SOWWL. I am very certain it will crash when used with SOWGB. We used to have a nappy mod for SOWGB, but stopped using it once SOWWL was released.

To use SG with SOWGB, make a scenario and then place the New Scenario folder into the Work\Scenarios folder. You will then see it listed on the game's User Scenarios screen.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Thank's for the information..."It's easy when you know how". Made up a little scenario and did as you suggested and it worked !
I scoured the Forum for a bit of advice, both my wife and I tried everything we could think of but to no avail, so all I can say is .

Thank's very much for your help. One thing I have noticed when I have posted questions I always get a swift answer, not all Forums are like that, as you probably know.

Anyway back to make a bigger scenario thanks once again.

Stephen.....and his long suffering wife !

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

You are quite welcome. We also do marriage counseling here. Perhaps a nice quite dinner for your suffering, better half is in order? Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Yes she has had alot to put up with. Me and my meddling, the trouble is I like to try and adapt games to play how I want them to.

SOWGB and SOWWL can be a bit inflexible. if I want to make battles with a brigade and some artillery against a Division, sort of a rear guard action or make some fictional battles, really it's down to ones own imagination on what to do with either a mod or the stock game, why shouldn't I ?

I am not bothered if I win or lose, I would rather have a challenging AI . Unfortunately due to ill health I don't play MP. I tire quite easily and I cannot concentrate as much as I used to, which leads to silly mistakes or I miss- read instructions.

But I have been having great fun playing this mod, it seems to capture the atmosphere of the battles, the smoke and the Couriers running around. Units marching off and doing thiings without orders. It is much more interesting than Total war, although I gave up on that franchise after Rome 2. The battles dwarf anything anybody has yet to put out. I just hope Norbsoft don't lose to much of the flavour of these battles with the next game....What ever it may be. They have a unique package, hope they dont stray to far from it.

Anyway I'm rambling. I will treat my wife.....After all she is better with computers than me !

All the best

Stephen.

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 pm

I tire quite easily and I cannot concentrate as much as I used to, which leads to silly mistakes or I miss- read instructions.
I don't see this being any different than how the rest of us play. Some are of professional grade in the mistakes and mis/ignored instructions. Rolling Eyes
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 am

As a friend of mine used to say...."campaigns of thud and blunder."

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Stephen - what time zone are you in? There's a regular MP game played by the group several times a week. I think its Fridays, Sundays and Wednesdays at 19:00 BST which is 14:00 hours USA East Coast. MP playing is just amazing fun. The group usually plays vs the AI and the atmosphere is very relaxed, humorous and forgiving.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Thankyou for the kind offer. but I'm sorry to say I prefer to play single-player. Although I like to read the AAR'S.

I have been playing computer games since the day's of the Amiga computer....Remember Napoleonics and Fields of Glory. I have never gotten any better ! Seriously though I have never been interested in MP. Not just for SOW, But for any games.
I do like to make up my own battles and play them when I can. I realise it can be more fun playing MP, like I say I enjoy SP, it's just a personal preference......Hope you understand.

The last couple of days I made up my own battle for Gettysburg, altering the head count to make for bigger units. So I have been playing that.

I did try the new patch but the "Peninsular OOB" crashed the game, although it does state that it has not been thoroughly tested, so I reverted back to the previious patch.

I did load up the new patch for the Stock game and loaded up the newest version of the KS MOD. But it gave me problems so as I say I reverted back to previous patches. After the problems of the previous week I just wanted to play the game .

Anyway I hope you all have a good battle. I did notice the group had been playing campaigns, I may have a read, although I guess these are also MP ?

All the best

Stephen.

stephen

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:44 pm

So I got the Scenario Generator running and copied the new OOBs to the oob file therein as instructed.

I hit create file it and got a message which said:

"Cannot open appropriate GBorWLScenario.ini.txt
Scenario.ini will not be created and the scenario will not run.
You must fix this problem."

That last bit is very helpful. Very Happy

The question is "how?"

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:00 pm

It sounds as if you are missing some files. Do you see GBScenarioIniTemplate.txt and WLScenarioIniTemplate.txt in the Scenario Generator folder? All total, there should be 5 files that have the extension, txt.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Yes, both are there. Along with the other 3 .txt files for a total of 5.

Maybe I should have re-downloaded the ScenGen file, after all?

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Is the executable Scenario Generator.exe in the same folder as the txt files?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Bingo.

No. The only application file was the one for the startlocs. I checked the link on the desktop and it claims that it is ON the desktop!

I will move it and let you know what happens.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:00 am

Voila!

Actually, I noticed that the latest scen gen version was 1.49 and I was using 1.47 so I just wiped everything out, dl'ed the new version and stuck it where it belongs and it created a test scenario with no problem.

I'll put the new OOBs in the folder though, just to be safe.

Grazie, Uncle Billy.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 am

Yeah, that did the trick. I see you fixed the 10 Mile German map, too!

It's really nice and it gives you time to do things.

Wink

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Check out the 10 mile German Gettysburg map. It's even better, with European buildings and great terrain.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Okay, it worked.

The only thing is that the startlocs program is not working. It says something like "failed to create OOBNames file. Hit any key to close."

In the prior version, it never changed the OOBNames file. You had to use the separate .xml thingy for that.

It didn't matter. the "L" key created the startlocs file and I just cut and pasted the new location data into the scenario. It worked.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 pm

It sounds like you are trying to use a program that creates the OOBNames.xml file from an existing OOB, (CreateXML.exe). The file you want to use is named "SOW Add StartLocs To Scenario.exe". It will be placed in the New Scenario folder automatically. Drag the startlocs.csv file into the New Scenario folder. Then drag it onto the SOW Add StartLocs To Scenario.exe program.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 pm

I've done that..... this is what happens.

SOW Scenario Generator - Page 2 IHIzna5

It always worked before. This is something new.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Are you opening the scenario and startloc csv files and and then saving them as XLS, (excel format), worksheets? They need to be in comma delimited format, i.e. csv.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 pm

All I did was take the Startlocs file and drag it on top of the program. I've done it 100 times before but this is the first time I ever saw this message.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 pm

The only other possibility is that the startlocs file doesn't go with that particular scenario. Or, did you rename scenario.csv to scenario1.csv for some reason?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next