We have 1011 registered users
The newest registered user is Nigel_B

Our users have posted a total of 24502 messages in 1958 subjects

I forgot my password

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

Go down

Waterloo: The Beer of Victory!

Post  WJPalmer on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Few would dispute the symbiotic relationship between beer and wargaming. However, while attending the 200th commemoration last June I stumbled upon a strong historical connection between brewskis and the 1815 conflict. During the Battle a local brewery just happened to be in full operation at Braine l’Alleud, only a couple of kilometers from the battlefield. This business, then known as "Market Brewery", dated from 1456 but enjoyed a major expansion coincidentally in the year 1815. Not so coincidentally, it also kept Wellington's army well-supplied (Could this have been the REAL reason behind the Duke's choice of this battlefield?). Shocked
History of Waterloo Beer

This establishment today is the Waterloo Brewery, which creates a micro-brew from the same recipe served to the Anglo-Allies. My wife and I were able to sample it on a couple of occasions and (I especially) thought it quite good. Below are a few shots from our first encounter with Waterloo Beer, fittingly at a pub/restaurant on the Mont St. Jean ridge at the intersection of Route du Lion and Chaussée de Charleroi.

While enjoying the brew this strange fellow in a tall, hairy hat strolled into Josephine's looking for directions to the battlefield and was instantly mugged by admiring tourists, most of whom appeared to be English sympathizers, such as this one (let's call him "Martin"). Only after 20 minutes did "Martin" and his ilk allow the instant celebrity to go on his way.

BTW, the avatar I'm now sporting is a photo of the Waterloo: Beer of Victory coaster. And, yes, I confess to absconding with a few... pirat

Back to top Go down