Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR

+3
Iberalc
Taff1943
SolInvictus202
7 posters

Go down

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Empty This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 am

What do you mean with: "They're coming"?!?

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Leo2a4mrn0s6juig

Gentlemen,

As promised in the other AAR we are about to start another "Bolt out of the Blue" scenario (this time v5.3) - this time with the entire map and me as NATO.

My esteemed opponent is no other than our very own Taff1943- apparently a veteran from the British army - who was generous enough to step in and take over all of WP once the 2nd player scheduled to play as WP had to drop out.

Obviously this won't be a very fast paced game - we all have our duties in real life and the scenario is simply huge - as you will see in turn. I expect a turn every week, maybe even every two weeks - we'll find out.
Once the initial moves have been made it may speed up a bit as not every single counter will have to be moved by then, but still it's a lot of work- but also great fun Wink

We are also welcomeing SWeathers here as my political pain in the a*** - no I mean "advisor"- I am sure he will come up with quite inventive ideas on how to make my life as SACEUR as miserable as possible.  Twisted Evil
At this point I also welcome anyone else to join in with his own story and ideas to make this AAR a more interesting and interactive experience. If you feel you want to be a lieutenant in the Royal Scots Dragoons or the President of la Grande Nation - just join us here and write something up- all posts will be considered and will have an effect on my in-game choices - AND it'll only take you 5 mins to type something in here too Wink !

I will start with the initial deployment, the overall plan and strategy in time - but first I will give WP the opportunity to say Hello in this thread as well - I really can't thank Taff enough for stepping up and takeing over more troops than he initially signed up for!

Now - without further ado - let the fireworks begin!  cheers

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR 1920pxa10afgha4ghv7d2bus
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Empty Re: This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:34 am

It is with great pleasure...

that I can announce that the Austrian Army will also take part in this epic struggle! And what a mighty force it was back then, too!

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR 20140213100436qwo7mjc24x
pic from bundesheer.at (today's equipment -not cold war I am afraid)

During the cold war we were fielding the latest in modern naval surface vessels:

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Kanonenbootnieptu1oiykbn

The "Niederösterreich" (Lower Austria) - the more powerful vessel of the two that were at our disposal back then... by now we only field a few rubber dinghies... budget cuts....

State of the art field communications equipment:

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Reiter44j6fa3qzto

All-terrain transport systems:

and last but not least:

Fearsome tank destroyers:

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Guentherz2006q8w1c0kth3

Last edited by SolInvictus202 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Empty Danube

Post  Taff1943 Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 pm

A small correction to Sols write up.
I am a veteran of the Brit forces But I was a long time Submariner a skill that will help me no end here LOL
Taff

Taff1943

Back to top Go down

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Empty Re: This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:03 pm

that worries me even more I suppose.. those Ruskies might just pop out of nowhere now - having used the Rhine to get to my rear areas with their mini-subs...

I suppose that reports will start to follow from tomorrow onwards - so let's ensure that no more commies or WP sympathizers are among us from now on Wink

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Ww2zippitgbyrx6t3du
courtesy of BBC
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:05 am

When I have seen those Pandurs, it came to my mind when I was around 20 and did my military service as a driver of one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEC-M1

It was really nice to drive them crosscountry, except sometimes for the people in the turrent. Rolling Eyes

Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  SWeathers Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 am

Speech at German Chancellery! Prime Minister Kohl Re-affirms Commitment to NATO

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F074398-0021_Kohl_%28cropped%29 This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Coat-of-Arms-of-Germany-Flag-620x387 This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Stock-footage-nato-flag-animation

"Citizens of Germany! Free men of the world! Today we stand at the crossroads of fate... We have but two questions before us. Are we to bend to the will of dictators and conquerors or forge a path of our own for democracy and freedom? The decision is fast upon us and the answer will be our legacy for the ages. Our comrades in arms have given us their answer and we shall stand and fight with them. We will fight for our land, for our country, and for our families; but above all we will fight for the right that all men should be free. Our foe is a mighty one, and has prepared for this day for generations, however we too are prepared! Our allies from across the oceans and borders wield the most powerful weapons and greatest technology in human history. They come to our aid now, at our darkest hour. But the night is always darkest before dawn, and dawn will shine on a world not in fear and hatred, but in peace and freedom. Finally to the brave men and women who shall make the last full measure of devotion I say, Grüß Gött!

-Prime Minister Helmut Kohl"
SWeathers
SWeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 am

@Pepe: oh yes... these things can give you all kinds of headaches... Very Happy  - especially if the driver is having too much fun  Twisted Evil

Overall deployment of available NATO Corps in the AO

I would once again like to point the viewers towards these two "master maps" to have a better way of viewing the towns, rivers etc... with such a large area it will be difficult to provide both detailed maps and overviews at the same time, without leaving out names of towns, rivers etc... those maps however have them all - you can zoom in easily and it should provide an ample amount of detail as well:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63823089/MasterMap%201.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63823089/Map%20with%20main%20rivers.png

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Turn1natocor3679qsw8kc

Corps available to us at 0400 June 10:

LANDJUT: AO will be Schleswig-Holstein and Jutland - at the moment it consists of only one division, but reinforcements will arrive in time

I Legers Corps (Dutch):  Mostly confined to the barracks still - will deploy and arrive on the field in time- a few advance units are already at the front line

I Korps: The 1st German Corps will be deployed north of Braunschweig all the way up to Lüneburg - it will take the brunt of the initial assault in this area with I Legers reinforcing it as it becomes available

I Corps BAOR: The 1st British Corps will guard the Braunschweig gap (no major rivers there) and protect the Weser crossings near Hannover - it will most likely face 3rd Shock Army. 2 Divs available atm.

I Belgian Corps: deployed on the right flank of the BAOR it will guard the Hartz Mountains and the crossings over the Leine and Weser all the way down to Kassel - 2 brigades present atm.

III Korps: The 3rd German Corps will be defending the Kassel area and link up with V US Corps near Frankfurt a.M. with its vital airfields and munitions as well as equipment depots.

V US Corps: tasked with the defense of the Fulda Gap and the Frankfurt area it will be subjected to the most intense Russian attacks. The terrain however should make a substantial defense viable.

VII Corps:: tasked with guard the crossings over the river Main it will most likely face GDR troops and some Czeck units.

II Korps: the larges area protected by a single Corps has been assigned to the 2nd German Corps - it will protect the area from Regensburg all the way south to the Austrian border, where it will link up with the availble troops there. It will have to deal with Czeck units most likely.

Austrian Army: The available forces will be able to achieve one thing, and one thing only: hold the Danube at all costs - with forward units delaying the approaches towards it. Once the Danube barrier is breached NATO reinforcements will have to take over the defense of this great nation!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Taff1943 Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Whether you like it our not, history is on our side. We will bury you.
Nikita Khrushchev

Let the funeral rites begin

Taff1943

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Who let the Ruskies in the War Room?

kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Well - I have just been told that WP would like to read along with the AAR...

per se this is perfectly fine - it will simply mean that NATO will have to present delayed and sometimes false reports Very Happy

it's not usually the way things go in these games - usually AARs are restricted to the player - but I'd rather have an honest opponent who says that he'd like to read it than a dishonest one who says he won't and does anyway...

should provide an extra bit of entertainment since we will mostly post about propaganda and false information as to throw WP off balance... or do we now?

let the secret games begin Wink
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Taff1943 Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:20 pm

I can not see the problem. At my age I'll have forgotten what I read before I start the move

Taff1943

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't see a problem either Smile - you are most welcome here - we'll just adjust a little bit that's all!

working on the turn as we speak.... should be done by Friday I believe...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:20 am

Russian Paras drop behind NATO lines!

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR L5

Russian Paratroops (ok - Indian ones in this picture - same equipment though Wink )

https://2img.net/h/i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/SolInvictus202/L5.jpg

It is now 0600 on June 10:

Russian Paratroopers of what appears to be the 76th Guards Airborne Division dropped behind the lines of the 11th ACR (Armored Cavalry Regiment) at the Fulda Gap, blocking all major roads leading to the front lines...

NATO scrambles reinforcing units meant to fill the gaps in the actual front line to deal with this new threat! Attack Helicopters of all sectors redeploy to support the attacks often conducted by engineer units - since no other are available in the immediate area.

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR WP%20Airborne%20vehicle

https://2img.net/h/i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/SolInvictus202/WP%20Airborne%20vehicle.jpg

Will WP break through the 11th ACR and link up with the 76th GABD or will NATO be able to deal with this threat BEFORE they break through the front line...
Rear area brigades from the 8th Infantry are still trying to get on the road and are not expected to take part in the action before 1200 hours.
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:17 am

WOLVERINES!!!
midgetmanifesto
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 am

At long last the battle continues!

The fault is entirely on the side of NATO - SACEUR HQ had to relocate and lots of staff work got delayed because the staff was busy moving crates of personal stuff AND cigars belonging to the CinC - not forgetting the supply of whiskey!

Turn 5 has been sent off to WP-HQ about 2 days ago and I would like to thank Taff for his patience and understanding! NATO HQ expects to be back on track from now on!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:54 am

Turn 3, 0600 10 June 1989

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Turn%203%20MasterMap

https://2img.net/h/i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/SolInvictus202/Turn%203%20MasterMap.png

General situation:

Warsaw pact troops have crossed the borders in multiple locations. Intel suggest that WP-HQ has opted for a slow and cautious but most prudent attack speed. Enemy troops have mostly been spotted in combat formation in almost all areas - few marching columns have been identified. This leads to the conclusion that WP is mostly worried about air assaults on their lead columns, and is ready to sacrifice attack speed in favour of vulnerability on the march.

1) We have spotted at least 2 NVA Divisions headed for the Elbe-Lübeck Kanal. This push seems to be supported by a thrust of at least one brigade of Russian troops towards Lübeck itself.  Our troops in the area - a reinforced 6th PzGrenDivision has taken up position along the Channel in order to delay the enemy long enough for the Pioneers to blow up all the crossings! Enemy artillery has already started to concentrate their fire on those very troops - we issued orders to do the same, should any engineers be spotted!
So far we have been able to delay any WP Push across the channel, sending in several Panzerbataillons to engage enemy troops at range.

2) In the general area of the Lüneburger Heide we have spotted at least 2 regular army divisions heading for the crossings over the Elbe-Seite-Canal. 3rd Panzerdivision has to cover the entire length of the canal until further units arrive - mostly 4e Divisie of the Dutch 1st Legere Corps and 11th PzGrenDivision. We are short on Engineers to deny all the crossings to the enemy, and are therefore faced with the task to engage him BEFORE he reaches those crossings. These actions will be costly but are necessary in order to ensure that WP has to conduct bridging operations on all possible locations - no bridge will be handed over to the enemy intact!

3) The Braunschweig Gap: The enemy's advance has been a lot slower than anticipated. Therefore we have formed our line further to the rear than necessary. Still our line is very weak until the BAOR has arrived with all its present divisions (3rd Armoured is mostly still on the road) - furthermore we have ordered 7th Panzerdivision (including the excellent PanzerLehr Brigade). We have sent in several waves of attack helicopters to further disrupt the Russian advance - but enemy AA has proven most effective and short ranges!

4) The 76th Guards Airborne has been dropped behind the Fulda Gap - no doubt to support a quick thrust towards the Frankfurt a.M. area - and its REFORGER airfields. We have taken steps to attack these pockets of airborne troops with all possible elan and speed (3 of these pockets have been identified - it would appear the division was unable to form a cohesive front line). Fortunately for us, we have troops belonging to the 8th Infantry and the 3rd Armored in the immediate area. It will be our task to delay the Russians on the national border long enough to destroy the 76thGAB before those two can link up!

5) and 6)  The most aggressive attacks have been registered in the regions of II Korps and VII Corps. Czech and NVA troops, supported by a regular and guard Corps are charging across the border, trying to link up with our lines as quickly as possible. Lacking any natural obstacles we are trying to form up on the best possible terrain to face this onslaught. Several Helicopter bataillons have been diverted to this area until further units of the regular army have arrived to support the efforts of stemming the tide!

7) Czech troops are trying to cross the Bohemian forests into Austria - we have formed up delaying forces on the front line in order to hinder the Czech troops from deploying in battle formation - using bottle necks along the roads. We will force them to deploy in the woods, where their numbers will be of no concern to us.
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:32 pm

current losses as of turn 3:

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Screenshot%20-%2025_09_2015%20%2014_49_38
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Might be best to quit now and declare victory. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Büchen, Elbe Lübeck Canal, 2./164 PzBtl :

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Leopard_1A4_main_battle_tank_German_army_Germany_002_1

https://2img.net/h/i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/SolInvictus202/Leopard_1A4_main_battle_tank_German_army_Germany_002_1.jpg

Feldwebel Braumüller was Tank commander of the 3rd tank, 1st Platoon, 2nd Company, currently overlooking one of the two bridges that crossed the Elbe-Lübeck Kanal near Büchen. Not 3 hours ago he had stumbled into his uniform, having been woken up by a low flying Russian air raid that hit Hamburg, just about 30 miles north of his base. "The Reds are coming" - he still couldn't quite believe it. All the deterrents, all the diplomatic gestures - nothing had helped... they were really coming...
His company had been training hard for this day, and for the first time he didn't curse and scream at his company CO - for the first time he was rather happy that all those days in the mud, repairing tracks in thunderstorms, had actually happened. Why? His company left the barracks in good order in no longer than 15 minutes - all 39 Leopard 1A4 of the 164th Panzerbataillon had assembled on the main road towards the channel by 0436.
OStFw Braumüller was the first tank in the line when they arrived at Büchen after about 1 hour on the road - immediately he and his platoon proceeded into the prepared positions along the waterline, while the armoured engineers went about their business of setting up the demolition charges, in areas they had not been preset yet.
Civilians were being evacuated as supporting infantry arrived in the form of the PzGrenBtl 162 - over 500 infantry in their Marder APCs.
At about 0545 they were informed that the scouting elements of the 6. PzGrenD had encountered lead elements of a German motorized Division and were hastily redeploying towards the rear. Contact should be expected by 0600!
The next 15 minutes were the slowest quarter of an hour he had ever experienced, as he, time and again, screened the horizon with his binoculars, while assuring his men that their training and their dedication had prepared them for what was about to come!
Braumüller knew too well, what an important task his tanks had been given. Two bridges had to be blown up before the Russkies arrived - and from what he could see, when looking at the commanding officer of the Pioneers, very little had been prepared in terms of demolition charges!
Expecting to see T-80s pop up in his scope around 0600 - tank that would have outclassed his by a mile - he was pleasantly surprised as the tank on the far left of the platoon, OSG Müller, radioed in that T-55s of the NVA had been spotted - in line abreast, coming down the road - straight towards them!
Turrets rotated a bit to the left and then Braumüller saw them too: about 30 T-55s in combat formation.

"Richtschütze, Panzer 10 Uhr, 1400m, Panzergranate!", Gunner: "Gefunden, Ziel erfasst!", Loader: "Panzergranate gelanden und feuerbereit" - Braumüller just started his own personal war in Germany with the words: "FEUER"

This was their finest hour! - NATO AAR Australian_Leopard_AS1_tank_forest

https://2img.net/h/i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/SolInvictus202/Australian_Leopard_AS1_tank_forest.jpg

an Australian Leopard 1A4
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down