Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01

+3
Iberalc
Lancier
Uncle Billy
7 posters

Go down

KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01 Empty KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 pm

A new version of the KS Napoleon Mod has been uploaded.  It fixes the excessive fatigue seen in the previous version.  Other minor changes have been made to make it more compatible with the new game.  Also RebBugler's Expanded Toolbar has been added to the mod with his permission.  A few changes have been made, such as including additional formations.  More changes will be made, but this is overwhelmingly his work.

The link is in the first post of this thread.: KS Napoleon Mod Link
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01

Post  Lancier Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:46 am

So Uncle Billy we dont need to tick Expanded Toolbar - Grog on the modifications menü anymore as KS mod already has it ?
Uncle Billy wrote: Also RebBugler's Expanded Toolbar has been added to the mod with his permission.

Lancier

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:35 am

That's right, the toolbar mod must be unchecked when playing with the KS mod.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 am

Excellent. Thanks Kevin. I need a new SSD first, though. Can't work out what is cluttering my present one.
Mainly microsoft updates by the looks of it .
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:18 am

This version of the KS Mod makes that big wooden block toolbar fully transparent which looks a lot nicer, but we discovered last night that you shouldn't be fooled by this and move the floating toolbar into the convenient space to the lower right. The solid background of the main toolbar is still there, just invisible, so placing the floating toolbar down there is like sliding it under a panel of glass - you can see it but you still can't press the buttons so you have to still have it proud of the button area.

Troop fatigue and artillery effects now seem much better (the former less, the latter more severe).

Lowering musket range to a more historical distance though has wrecked the AI's fearcheck tests to form square so last night our cavalry ran riot among the French slaughtering everything right and left just like the old KS Nap Mod I. We need to unleash Kevin on those xml files to see if we can bring the fearcheck tests down in line with the shorter weapon ranges.

It's looking very promising though. Last night's battle for me felt like the most Napoleonic action I've yet played with the new game. There is something about the new wider spacing of units and commands that brings out a greater feeling of spectacle and grandeur as well as eliminating most of the horrible pathing problems we used to have.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Lancier Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:28 am

Sorry Mr.Digby i couldnt get it about the toolbar, this is what i see: You see like that all ? Inf,Cav,Arty above?
KS Napoleon Mod II 1.01 Nl750m

Lancier

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Yes, that is how it should look. You can move the small toolbar where ever you like. Do not move it to the bottom of the screen or else you will not be able to use it.

Version 1.02 will be up before the weekend. I have added the double line formations to the small toolbar for cavalry and infantry. I also increased the musket range to increase the reaction range as we discussed after the game. From my preliminary tests, the infantry is now more prone to form squares. We need to test that in a game of course.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  NY Cavalry Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I get packets not found and then it plays with a runtimer error crashing the game as soon as I hit the M key.

NY Cavalry

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:08 pm

It sounds as if you are trying to use the wrong map. Use only the maps that start with a country name or one of the Waterloo maps.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  NY Cavalry Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Okay, works now. Thanks.

NY Cavalry

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Kevin, last night I had real trouble trying to swing a deployed battery to face a new direction. I can click on the battery commander and make him turn left or right but the toolbar then does not give me a "battery deploy in line" button to make the guns wheel to face the new direction. You can only get a battery to pivot if you also move it and since I was forward with my infantry and my guns were back on a hilltop its not practical to move them by clicking on the terrain.

This new GUI is a real headache.

Can a battery line formation button be added into the basic toolbar? Are there some other buttons that are redundant - for example the up/down/left/right buttons to navigate through the OOB?

Another option might be to use the infantry line button to also tell a battery to form line as well. I saw that the infantry "column of lines" style button has two functions - when a brigade is selected it forms the brigade into a double rank of columns of division and when a battalion is selected it forms it into a column of division. Could a similar trick be used for the line button?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:36 pm

you can use the normal "line" button on the bottom toolbar to redeploy a battery - it works with guns the same way as with infantry...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:50 pm

you can use the normal "line" button on the bottom toolbar to redeploy a battery - it works with guns the same way as with infantry
That's because of how formations are defined in unitglobal. The particular line formation for each of the three arms is defined there. However there is no ability to define double line. Therefore, we need a separate button for infantry and cavalry. That's how it will be for all new added formations.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:22 pm

you can use the normal "line" button on the bottom toolbar to redeploy a battery - it works with guns the same way as with infantry...
Hm. Odd. That was the first thing I tried and no courier was sent; it was like that button command was ignored by my battery commander.

Therefore, we need a separate button for infantry and cavalry.
So if I understand you correctly, we'd have a 'single line' button that will line up batteries and put inf/cav brigades into a single line and a 'double line' button which presumably artillery will ignore and inf/cav brigades will use to form a front and a support line.

In this version of the mod can we have the second line the same length as the first, except in the case of brigades with odd numbers of btns/sqns when the extra unit goes in the first line? I think a 4-btn brigade would deploy 2 btns forward and 2 in support, and a 3 + 3 formation for a 6-btn brigade. The 4 + 2 formation we have always had for a 6-btn brigade is not correct.

So btns and sqdns would be allocated to the brigade formations in this order:

[   1   ]  [   3   ]  [   5   ]  [   7   ]  [   9   ]
[   2   ]  [   4   ]  [   6   ]  [   8   ]  [  10  ]

It would be even more correct if battalions were spaced well apart and the support line had its battalion positions staggered half a frontage to the right so these battalions covered the gaps in the first line. This was generally how the tactical manuals preferred support lines to be used.

We should probably do the same with cavalry squadrons and brigades of infantry in columns of division so a chequerboard pattern results.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:15 pm

We can't do checkerboard formations due to the constraints of the program. We can equalize the front and back rows.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:13 pm

What a ball ache, ay Kevin?

The constraints of the .drills rules had me tearing my hair out. It took me two days just to come up with a way of arranging brigades of columns in two rows. I had to put the commander and flag bearer in line with the battalions to do it.

Heaven knows the problems you are having with the GUI interphase scratch

Looking forward to playing the new KS mod, although again, I'm pretty booked up this weekend and need to free some space on my SSD or buy a bigger one.

Mike

Last edited by Grog on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:36 pm

The drills file is the trickiest of them. But I've been creating formations for quite awhile and have made all the mistakes possible. I now qualify as an expert. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:31 pm

have made all the mistakes possible
I am sure new ones will continue to pop into existence simply to grow your capacity to learn.

Yes, I think we had the chequerboard conversation before. Probably about 2 years ago *sigh*
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Lancier Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:53 am

Gentlemen 4 of us today tried hosting KS mod game but continuously got the 'cannot find package file' message. You all still got the same White box while loading game ?

Lancier

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:28 am

Which map were you trying to use?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lancier Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 am

We tried most maps starting with country names gave the same message.

Lancier

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 am

Perhaps if you play a non-WL map you need GB or the relevant GB add-on. Might that be the case, Kevin?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down