Our users have posted a total of 24082 messages in 1921 subjects
Keywords

sprites  russian  

I forgot my password

Coop Game Russian vs French AI Saturday Mary 30

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coop Game Russian vs French AI Saturday Mary 30

Post  midgetmanifesto on Sun May 31, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm curious the final result and to see a replay. Can anyone chime in?

Background:
The Russian divisions are separated in three concentrations across an east-west line. They need to defend smygol in the centre (just north of a plateau) where their weakest division is already located. They know the French are to the south.

The other players, mistaking my claims of incompetence for false modesty, promptly promoted me to be their leader. Roland was given the centre command (Vorontsov), Pepe the east (Olsufier), and Morsey and MTG were west (Bakhmesyer & Stavitsky). The central command took up a great position facing south, and Pepe moved into reserve behind it near Smygol.

MTG & Morsey marched south following the road to take up a position defending a creek, ready to move east to close the gap if the french appeared there.

The *entire* french army appeared there (I failed to mention it was foggy). Suddenly rather than facing a southern attack, Pepe and Roland needed to pivot and face west. Also, the incredibly long column of french was stopping courier messages to the western Russians.
Pepe and Roland did a glorious job of defense, managing to methodically (and thoroughly) feed their troops into the French meat grinder without breaking. I have some pics of corpse heavy battlefields I'll try and get up.

Hardly needing a CinC to do much, I tried to find a break in the french lines to join up with the Western troops. I eventually managed to time a courier to race between marching french units on the Road. The game now turned into a race to see if the French could break the defenders before the Russian reinforcements could engage and defeat their rear and artillery reserve.

Unfortunately for the Russians, some type of french red pomm guard was at the back. MTG and Morsey began a heavy 15 minute artillery barrage. At this point I was racing back and forth between Russian forces, acting as a glorified messenger. I could see some french units being drawn back to the rear, but the main French attack was now wrapping the defenders lines on both the North and South. The Bavarian Kuirrasier (spelling?) gave a great account of themselves, cutting down fields of men......Alas they were on the AI side, and Roland was a bit shell shocked and twitchy near the end.

As my wife dragged me into the carriage for our promised countryside outing, we could just see through the fog the far french artillery batteries being captured, and some french units turning to face West (the reinforcements attack), but Smygol was being lost.

Pray tell, was the one ring to rule them all captured by the Corsican Ogre?

midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Re: Coop Game Russian vs French AI Saturday Mary 30

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 pm

It wasn't a Corsican ogre, it was a Corsican cave troll.

I'd like to see the replay as well.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto on Sun May 31, 2015 4:41 pm

Taken to illustrate the bloodiness of the battlefield.

This was my parting shot as I hopped in the coach. These are the Northern french overlapping the defense of smygol. In the distance to the left, you can see an artillery battery on the crest. This has just been captured, and I was just able to select Russian flags of infantry, but couldn't see all the sprites yet.

It was a bit harrowing to see all the units of french lining up to move in AGAIN, and overlapping the russian lines. I swear every time I managed to sneak around the lines and return to smygol it seemed like the french had multiplied like bunnies.
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Waiting for all you haters to acknowledge my low casualties from yesterdays game. Please don't throw me out Digby for have such a low body count affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 on Sun May 31, 2015 5:01 pm

first thing that came to mind was Poniatowski's attack at Borodino....

PS: unfortunately I only had 3600 infantry to throw into the meat grinder....
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sun May 31, 2015 5:22 pm

With all due modesty, I have to announce that Mike and I saved our Russian companions from certain defeat. We did so in spite of having to face and defeat 3 French brigades, two of which were Old Guard. We bombarded the enemy for 15 minutes with two batteries which dealt serious damage to the guard battalions. Have I ever mentioned how much I like Russian artillery? Twisted Evil

Once the guns had done their work we attacked. Mike used the cavalry in close support of his infantry brigade and routed a brigade of guards and one of light infantry. Mine took on the grenadiers was able to defeat one battalion after another.

With the French reserve division seen off, we had to clear out a number of enemy batteries and broken but reformed battalions. This took a bit of time but was accomplished with minimum loss. Mike's brigade and mine were able to cooperate the entire time which made the advance to Smygel, (and the gold ring of course), deliberate and with little loss to the division.

As we were clearing away the last of the French rear, I received a rather execrable note from a General Vorontsov, complaining of our tardiness and slow movement. In hindsight, perhaps we should have halted our advance and allowed Vorontsov to meet his fate at the hands of the French. But my better nature got the best of me and I advanced and saved him. Now that the battle is concluded, I must demand satisfaction.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 5:27 pm

Here here here What Kevin said! That was a good time yesterday and I learned a lot about using the guns to assist the advance. We just about preformed a leap frog maneuver from the moment we made contact.

Roland could have said thanks, but then he would not be an Austrian. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto on Sun May 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Did anyone manage to save a replay?
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 5:41 pm

I am sure someone did Dave. Also great job yesterday in getting us all there just in time.

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Mike hit it spot on: a true Austrian would not have flanked the enemy forces in an hour long march while his fellow countrymen were facing a far superior enemy... no gentlemen would have abandoned his fellow soldiers like Mike and Kevin did...

a true Austrian would have fixed bayonetts and charged the enemy head on.... and after his failure he would have retired to the next convent for intensive prayers and some comfort...

not sure if it works better if I zip it.... maybe I am simply missing a step:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63823089/Heroes%20left%20to%20perish....zip
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto on Sun May 31, 2015 6:10 pm

To be fair, the flank thing was a pre-contact plan. And it was unfortunate our lines of communication got hacked in two by the fast french advance.

I couldn't play the file. It can't find the map. Do I need to move the player program somewhere special? Or update it? or.....
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 6:16 pm

LOL Heroes left to Parish!!! That is dramatic, I guess next time we move slower. Roland you are a nut!

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:17 pm

it's all just the typical banter - no worries...

if the AI makes contact with a human force that is not fully concentrated it usually ends in a bloodbath - just like when the humans are able to reach good ground in good order and the AI attacks - same results - just the other way round Wink

as for the technical issues: not sure - Kevin is the go-to guy in PC questions - I am happy that I can actually start the PC hitting just one button in the process...
it may be my replay file - it may be your replay viewer that is outdated - no idea... sorry...

Last edited by SolInvictus202 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun May 31, 2015 6:18 pm

Oh, this wasn't the game I played in Friday, it must be the one you played last night. I thought you were going to do a PvP game? Is there a replay of Friday's game anywhere?

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Roland maybe when you change the file name to you series of Dramatic PBS events it messes up the replay viewer. LOL

Banter isn't that some wild cray crazy animal that roams the wood of Austria?

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 on Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 pm

please check if this one works now - I tried to upload it earlier - but it didn't work... this is Friday's game now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63823089/NetServ-05302515%20020829.zip
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Sun May 31, 2015 6:27 pm

Dave, download the latest version of the Replay Viewer http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t1282-sow-replay-viewer

Martin, Here is Friday's game, I think. Friday Game

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto on Sun May 31, 2015 7:27 pm

I got the replay to work. It was an old player, my fault.

I didn't realize there was quite so many french cannon dooming Rolands command, nor the extra 4 or 5 french brigades to the south guarding the rear/secondary road they advanced on. In hindsight Morsey and MTG had a tougher job than I had seen. Nice final score by the way Morsey.

Thanks for making my overall command look good fellas.
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 31, 2015 8:02 pm

Kevin had probably added to half of that score. He finally listened to me!! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Well Roland and myself had just 2,000 more infantry, 500 more cavalry and twice as many guns as the Volcano combat team (Gral. CrazyHorse Morsey and Gral. Georgia) and we had to face 3 infantry brigades plus the whole enemy cavalry and artillery.

We were able to bring the French to a standstill, they could not take the objective, and both sides were exhausted when the relieving party arrived, they had just to brush away some reformed battalions and take the enemy artillery from behind.

I think there was even a friendly fire incident, when one of my batteries spent some of their last rounds on the advancing Russian columns taken them for French, it was foggy. Twisted Evil

One of the best coop battles so far. We defended like Russians and the French attacked like Russians, wave after wave of cavalry and infantry. bounce
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Some screenshots:

Cavalry charge secuence:

The steady fire of this line rejected the charge, I guess the cavalry men were already spent:

Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Nice pictures, they give a good sense of a desperate fight.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:01 am

I'm just glad I wasn't on the receiving end of those guard cuirassier's charge. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:55 pm

thanks for reminding me again - I almost forgot...
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top