» Crop sprites
by Didz Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by Miko77 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

» KS Map Modding Project
by rschilla Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 am

» Chickamauga conversion to Germany
by Mr. Digby Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 am

» How to import scanned maps into the General Staff wargaming system.
by Dr Ezra Sidran Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Statistics
We have 970 registered users
The newest registered user is Eagle Tsui

Our users have posted a total of 23836 messages in 1909 subjects
Keywords

stock  scenario  camera  maps  battles  

I forgot my password

Battle of the Little Pipe Creek

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battle of the Little Pipe Creek

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks to Martin J for an absolute blast today with his new Custer's Last Stand mod. We played on a Pipe Creek map with Custer's command vs a completely unknown random Sioux and Cheyenne enemy who we didn't know would be aggressive or not. It turned out to be a very hard fight and full of tension and uncertainty. Bizarrely it was Keogh's and Yate's battalions again that got wiped out.

Also - I hate mule trains! Grr, so slow!

I'll just upload the replay here and it speaks a 1000 words.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xro4nlkknskx6p/CusterReplay.zip?dl=0

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Re: Battle of the Little Pipe Creek

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:42 am

Awesome time today.  

I do have one thing to report that the squaws are dressed as Confederate Soldiers.  It was quite shocking to see such things in time of war, well really anytime to be truthful.

Last edited by Morsey on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell.....You knew that already.)

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed it guys.  We see these new Monday games as a chance to try different things.

Apart from the annihilation of the same 5 companies that died with Custer, there were a number of other spooky parallels with the real Little Bighorn.  Total army losses were almost identical.  The subsequent desperate defence on a hill, rescued by the returning Benteen, mirrored that at the battle.  There was even the same historical dilemma for Reno.  Presented with with the opportunity of rescuing Custer’s companies but at the risk of his own command, he chose the path of discretion.  Historically Reno did too, and in both cases there were calls for a court martial  Smile .

All this arose naturally from player actions.  The only thing scripted was the slow-moving and disobedient pack train (my own glorious command).  The mules were a real problem for both Custers.  The supplies they carried were essential, but they couldn’t keep up.  So he had to detach over 20% of the regiment to guard them.

In our game Custer somewhat ingloriously survived the loss of his companies, but kept his nerve and gamely supervised the defence of the hill by Reno and the pack train.  Having fought off a succession of Indian attacks, he ordered a move SE, suspecting that the huge Indian camp lay in that direction.  His instincts were good, but there were just too many Sioux, and the 7th was by now too weak to break through.

[Yes Mike, it would be very nice if we could have some sprites for the Indian women.]

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:24 pm

You could go on bended knee and cap in hand to Alessillo again.

"Any hussar who has not got himself killed by the age of 30 is a jackass." - Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, commander of Napoleon's light cavalry, killed in battle at Wagram 6 July 1809, aged 34.

"I had forgotten there was an objective." - Generallieutenant Mikhail Borozdin I
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Decided this great mod needs some publicity.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/66007-custers-last-stand#66007

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm

That's kind of you Diggers. Thanks. Have made some further improvements, so there will be a new version out for the next time we play this.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:49 pm

On looking at the screenshots again I thought the dismounted US cav formation could do with looking a bit more skirmishy, perhaps with some standing figures, maybe the mounted line and column as well.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Funny you should say that. A mix of standing and kneeling figures is in the latest version. They do look a lot better - much less parade ground Very Happy

Not sure what you mean re the mounted line and column. Can you clarify please?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Positioning the sprites in the mounted line and column formations in a less regular manner - or is that option only available in skirmish order?

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:52 pm

We can do that for any formation.  I did it for the Indians and army scouts.  

The downside is that it requires me to venture into the drills.csv logistics file once again.  I did that before and it took me to the very verge of insanity  affraid  

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 pm

But as you've been there for years, that should not be a problem.

Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top