Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Today at 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30497 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Dobrantihs Crossroads: A GCM Introduction to Napoleonic HITS

+7
Uncle Billy
Iberalc
Mr. Digby
Martin
midgetmanifesto
kg little mac
WJPalmer
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dobrantihs Crossroads: A GCM Introduction to Napoleonic HITS - Page 3 Empty Re: Dobrantihs Crossroads: A GCM Introduction to Napoleonic HITS

Post  kg little mac Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:19 pm

I do think something we need to stress as often as possible with the GCM guys is that the ks style of play should be more about the game and less about winning the battles.

A lot of GCM players are very competitive: Matt being the most competitive (and I don't mean in a bad way).  And while I certainly expect everyone to do their best to win battles, we should all avoid "gamey" tactics and exploits for the sake of winning.

GCM games are dog eat dog.  Highly competitive.  And I love that.

But I also love the playing the game for the sake of the game attitude of the ks games.

For us GCM guys, it's sometimes hard to put away that win at all costs mindset.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Dobrantihs Crossroads: A GCM Introduction to Napoleonic HITS - Page 3 Empty Re: Dobrantihs Crossroads: A GCM Introduction to Napoleonic HITS

Post  MJP Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 pm

I think you misunderstand the purpose of KS play.

Actually, i don't think that i misunderstand it at all and I'd like to think that my play in both a command role and in charge of a division or brigade has shown pretty clearly that i get what the KS HITS games are about.   The biggest issue i had with the game on Wednesday was that it was too much like a normal GCM game and not enough like a normal KS HITS game (i.e. "there they are, go and get them").    I'm just pointing out that as the group of folks from GCM start playing HITS more it's inevitable that weaknesses in the system will be exploited and corrections to the system will have to be made.
MJP
MJP

http://www.firstlegionltd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 pm

While no game or simulation is perfect, I've always believed that the measure of a truly outstanding product is one that incentivizes players to act historically for something approaching historical reasons. SoW is one of the best out there, but still has its limitations. And, of course, it is these limitations that command virtually all our attention, disagreement and discussion.

The KS HITS community has enjoyed the advantage of being fairly small, and mostly of one mind, in its approach to the gaming experience. I confess that I REALLY enjoy this style of play. And while both are fun (GCM appeals to something primal inside  pirat), I find KS HITS a pleasant change of pace from the more purely competitive culture. However, I think we all realize that the more cross-over between KS, GCM & others, the greater the potential for strain. I'd like to think there's enough overlap and commonality that almost everyone will find something to enjoy in this style. But to be practical -- and come full circle to my first point -- whatever adjustments and tweaks can be made in the mod to bring KS HITS game mechanics inline with true historical play will be a very good thing. Down the road it will result in greater harmony and tranquility to minimize reliance on gentlemen's understandings. One hard lesson GCM teaches is that, whenever possible, desirable "house rules" should be built directly into the mod. For that reason, I applaud Kevin's pledge to make the adjustments necessary to make our lives miserable. What a Face

I also agree with the sentiment that one sketchily designed scenario is not a very good sampling to base changes upon. Let's keep our eyes open for any unfortunate tendencies and attempted exploits -- and rejoice when these are squashed in game by superior play.

PS: Another round of applause to Matt is in order. Recall that he's the one who forcibly shut down the casual TS chatter Wednesday as interfering with his "immersion." Truly the KS HITS spirit!
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:11 pm

It was somehow improvised game with a change of map at the last moment and designed for people to get the flavour, I don't think we should draw a lot of conclusions just with such experience. But there have been a lot of constructive ideas worthy of further consideration.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't think anyone is drawing to any conclusions based on that game. I have felt for some time that battalions move too fast while closing with the enemy.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:33 pm

The Unitglobal.csv file shows that the base infantry walk speed is 4mph and run is 8mph. I too think these are too fast. 4mph is a good brisk walk for me in casual clothing. I don't think any 19th C military formation should move at this speed. Military units also tended to halt and dress ranks frequently. Probably about 2.5mph is a fair walk speed for infantry over distance, with 5mph being a run (in which units must still keep formation).
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next