Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

15. Battle of Murcia - 9th October 1808

+5
Mark87
Grog
WJPalmer
Iberalc
Mr. Digby
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

15. Battle of Murcia - 9th October 1808 - Page 2 Empty Re: 15. Battle of Murcia - 9th October 1808

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 pm

The French 1st division was a meat-mincer, who was the commander?

That was me and I was shocked on watching the replay to see my score racking up. I think it was partly those two 8-pounder batteries on the island which had completely emptied their limbers of ammo by the end of the battle, plus I seemed to have extraordinary luck in this game in forming squares just as Spanish cavalry charged me. I counted at least 5 such incidents with my troops in square each time - just! Apart from that I did a lot of standing around, walking and staring at house walls!

Replay file is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81as4fxpej0gnv6/Battle%20of%20Murcia%20replay.rar?dl=0
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

15. Battle of Murcia - 9th October 1808 - Page 2 Empty Re: 15. Battle of Murcia - 9th October 1808

Post  Mark87 Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm

It is most interesting to note, that as a cavalry commander (besides being hopelessly unable to get my brigade to traverse the bridge, even using the road command) I was able, I think to do my job. I scouted the Northern area of the Spanish positions with my brigade and came back with a remarkably accurate head count: two brigades of infantry, two batteries of artillery, and unknown cavalry (at least 3 squadrons). It was a totally new experience for me to spend 5 minutes of game time trying to access what the hell was in front of me, and moving my brigade around to try and find observation points.

Secondly, I was ordered to once again navigate the hell of the town and take my brigade to the southeast and support the attempted breakout of our three trapped divisions. I arrived and deployed my brigade behind a reverse slope and was able to surprise a shot up brigade of Spanish cavalry. Alas, if I had arrived earlier and with rested men I have no doubt we could have taken that last ridge.

Finally, I dispersed my tired troopers throughout the town guarding the main approaches. We had successfully captured some Spanish wagons and guns when I spotted the rear of a shaky Spanish Battalion. Grabbing the eagle of the Italian Dragons I personally led them to advance! On y va! As we neared the backs of that ill-fated Spanish regiment a volley erupted from a bisecting street, where a seemingly fresh Spanish battalion had been lying in wait.

Fade to black.

I spent the remainder of the battle trying to ride back to town-it was a 10 minute real time ride.
Mark87
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Excellent summary, Martin -- makes it all clear. And easy to see there was a method to the (French) madness. Given the actual circumstances, I think the French commanders could hardly have wished for a better result.

From where I stood, the situation was horribly confused. Commanding the Valencian 3rd Division, I responded first to MTG's alert of enemy couriers running about our rear and then Pepe's order to move to Saint-Marche's relief. Upon arrival the scene that met my eyes was one of indescribable madness. Martin's boys were still holding but in obvious distress so, following Pepe's direction, I led the 3rd in an immediate counterattack. I assumed my division would see immediate success (French fatigue had to be substantial), but the first battalion was rudely sent off. Following battalions fared better, but the French were very difficult to dislodge. Ultimately we were able to send them back across the creek, but it's difficult to tell if the French retrograde movement was due to my division's efforts or the fact that MTG's division was now on the other side and taking them in the flank. It didn't really matter -- we were just happy to have the line restored.

I spent the rest of my time in game repositioning my troops and trying to recover fatigue (nearly all my units were in various shades of exhaustion from the melees & quick-timing.) Pepe suggested a counter-attack at that moment, but I had to demur: In that condition my troops would have been chopped to pieces by any French in the area in anything approaching serviceable condition.

And that's about where I had to leave. My apologies for that, but an important commitment had to be met, and I'd never imagined the game would be raging 4 hours after the scheduled start.

Digby, my sincere compliments for the scenario design. It had more twists, spills and chills than a dime novel. In the future may I suggest advertising ahead of time a battle's planned duration? It would be helpful for players to plan the time they'll need to set aside to fight these epics. Also, whatever can be done to get the games going nearer the advertised start would be great. Things come up that are beyond anyone's control for sure, but perhaps we could give some thought about how to structure the pre-game to iron out as many issues as possible early on. This becomes even more important as the battles get larger.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Ron wrote:Things come up that are beyond anyone's control for sure, but perhaps we could give some thought about how to structure the pre-game to iron out as many issues as possible early on. This becomes even more important as the battles get larger.
Yesterday was particularly ugly in that regard. We had a large number of players that were either new or hadn't played in a while and had to update a mod. I suggest we ask all players that are in that situation to show up on TS 30-45 minutes early so they can test with someone that played in the previous week or two. I don't anticipate any new changes to the mods for sometime to come so any "regular" can do this. If new players sign up on doodle beforehand, (I think most did this time), I'll try to be there for testing.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Unfortunately there are always some players who show up a few minutes early (or late!) and then don't have their mods updated, or working right. I know this because we've asked people to come early and prepared before and it didn't have any effect then!

The issue is we can't enforce start times because we don't have the luxury of being able to turn people away, and I wouldn't want to either.

The idea of asking people to be ready is a sound one though and only reasonable, so as a call to every player - do please, PLEASE:

1) Try your level best to be there early (30mins being a MINIMUM), and
2) Have your mods updated and ready AT LEAST the day before.

Thanks to everyone in advance for these efforts.

As to scenario time having once or twice been deep into a tough tactical game and had the end timer ring on us (which can be frustrating to say the least) I now no longer write scenario times to fit how long I think the battle will take to resolve but write the time to be much more than we should need. This means pretty much all my scenarios are written to be 180 minutes long with the result that the battle can be called when one side is beaten rather than when an artificial referees whistle blows. I think this is a preferable system, so from now on everyone should assume all campaign scenarios are set to 180 minutes long unless I say otherwise. As to reaching a conclusion we usually can do this in 120 minutes of game time or thereabouts, and lag may add +25% to any MP session so please plan for these kinds of game lengths.

Thanks.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Getting players in early to test seems important. I think it's also important to continue emphasizing the use of Doodle as a tool. The thing to avoid IMO is holding up the start for a dozen+ players for long periods trying to sort out a single player's unique situation. This isn't as likely to happen if new players or anyone who hasn't played for some time gets in early to test. Saturday's game was a bit extreme in that it represented the first KS HITS game for a few who joined quite late (and therefore had not registered on Doodle). For about 30 minutes before the battle was set to start I was working with 3 new or semi-new GCM players with their setups over on that TS channel, so that helped, but there were obviously a few others, including some non-GCM'ers who arrived late at KS TS. That will always happen to some extent, but hopefully will not be as pronounced as we saw this weekend. I'm concerned that extended delays in getting the battles going may discourage or frustrate some who would otherwise be delighted with the format.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I have concerns about advertising KS HITS games on Garniers GCM site because, well, its a bit unethical to be seen as 'poaching'. I could place the doodle link there but am reluctant to for the above reason. If a GCM person could politely ask GCM players to use the doodle that would help a lot.

The point is really that anyone interested in KS HITS games should register on this forum and pop in once a day to check posts - that way they'd all see the doodle links.

Then again we have some seasoned KS players who don't use the doodle which can be very frustrating.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Don't even worry about that, Digby. It's not a competition. Garnier will not mind one bit. There are at least 2 or 3 GCM games every day, sometimes more.

I'll post the doodle links on the GCM forum. Most of those 100+ yards-from-the-saddle heathens don't even know how to read a post on a forum, much less join one.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Well, I have no pride and will gladly post Doodles and reminders over there (as we've already done several times), if it helps get games going faster. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think of it as "poaching" at all because 1) it's not a zero-sum game -- players can play and enjoy both formats and 2) even if it isn't and they can't, no lost royalties are involved. Wink

As for the lack of ethicss, I can get away with it because no one expects lawyers to have them anyway. It's the beauty of low expectations. Smile
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Thanks for a great game, Mr D

As General Castro I was in the front line defending the SE of the city and was briefed to pull back my command away from French artillery on the island. This I did not do quickly enough because I underestimated the effect the guns were having on me from such extreme range. I guess I expected similar poor results to that which were dished out to me by the Austrian 6lbrs a couple of weeks ago. I had not accounted for the better training and higher calibre of the French 8lb batteries. I lost at least 14 gunners and 2 cannon, plus 30+ men from my inf. Lesson learned Very Happy

After pulling back somewhat, I soon received a message from Pepe to quickly about turn and assist Martin repulse the French to our rear. A lively fight had developed here and I sent an inf brigade+cav brigade to cover the eastern flank and had just ordered another brigade in columns to support Martins centre when I happened to look back at the town....

Pooring out of the town I saw masses of French/Neopolitan battalions heading in my direction. Inhaling sharply, and an 'ecstacy of fumbling' with my mouse and keyboard, I ran back and attempted to judge just where and when they would hit me. Fortunately, there was a small stream in between (which I only learned of later), that slowed Digby's columns down enough to let me turn around my brigades. Still, I only managed to face them with one inf brigade, 2-3 guns and my Hussars.

Whilst I waited for my second brigade, I sent off a couple of pleas for help and then took my cav on a mission to outflank the enemy and cause as much delay as possible. It was a close call but I managed to get round the flank and sit them in a threatening area to their rear before leaving them. Returning to my command on the hill, things were not looking good but my second brigade had arrived and the enemy had been delayed just enough. A message from Pepe said something like 'don't worry, Morsey has been ordered to hit them in their flank/rear', music to my ears!

I saw more friendly units enter the fight but I still felt I needed to distract my assailants again, as many of my units were panicked or falling back. I ran again to the flank and sent orders to my Hussars (which were quite far off) to charge the cannon, which had been brought up and were now supporting their attack. They charged in splendidly Smile Captured some guns, I think and managed to contribute to some of the mayhem that had started to befall the French as more Spanish arrived. I saw the guns recaptured.

Digby fought an admirable retreat to the town. I was just happy to sit there and rest my exhausted troops. I was also surprised to see that my Hussars had remained intact after what was, essentially, a fire-and-forget mission.

I witnessed the French column marching along the river but my men needed rest. I also thought they were fresh troops.

Well played everyone. Special mention of Pepe who, from my perspective, did a great job.

What a weekend. Worked a 12hr shift, long scarey battle 3-4 beers, bed at 2am, up at 6.30 12hr shift. Knackered!!

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2