Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Battle of Trollinger Run

+3
mitra
WJPalmer
MajorByrd
7 posters

Go down

Battle of Trollinger Run Empty Battle of Trollinger Run

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:15 am

Confederate War Department
To Secretary J. Seddon
Richmond, VA
July, 1862

Secretary Seddon

Dire news Sir, we did not achieve our goals. Our efforts have been repulsed by a weakened enemy at Trollinger Run.

After being insulted by General Georgia in the most heinous fashion I decided that it was time to make a push for Washington.
My scouts informed me that the Yankee's had taken up position on the eastern bank of Trollinger Run.

It was time to break Georgia once and for all Sir. We could have done it. But we did not.
I chose to split up the Corps into three parts. General Baylor and Bartley were ordered to occupy fords on the northern part of Trollinger creek
while Cleburne and the 8500 men of the I. Division were to head south and assault the enemies left flank.

Unfortunately Cleburne's Division lost two out of it's four commanding officers when Colonels' Carter and Knight got into a duel about
who would be first in line to charge General Georgia's infamous "supply train". Like true Gentlemen they both fired at the same time and dropped dead in
a most valiant fashion, leaving General Cleburne with 3 Brigades of Infantry and 2 Batteries to control on the attack.
Soon it became clear that I had made a mistake planning the march down where the boom was to be lowered on the enemy flank.

We lost good time on the road we could have spent killing Yankees instead. But General Cleburne marched his mules like hell and once they arrived
he hit them as a hammer would a mangy piece of iron to bend it to it's will. The Union defense was stubborn and they put up quite the fight.
Progress was slow and due to the lack of General Officers, the attack was not as deceisive and as far south as it should have been.

Meanwhile, matter's up north got out of hand. General Bartley was driven back by a strong Union defense which was to be expected. It would have sufficed if
Bartley could have held the Yankees for Cleburne to push and swing northwards to roll up the Union line like a carpet ready to be bagged. But it did not come to that. Without the neccessary swift- and deceisiveness produced by the lack of hands down south we could not destroy their forces as I had envisioned it. Even worse, General Georgia mounted what seemed to be an impenetrable defense that caused us to reconsider and to withdraw to preserve the strength of our army. Casualties were almost even, the Union remained in posession of the Objectives and we made it out in one piece.

I shall ponder further moves within the next couple o' days Sir.

Respectfully
J. A. Seitzinger
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Battle of Trollinger Run Empty Re: Battle of Trollinger Run

Post  WJPalmer Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:38 am

12 July 1862

General M.T. Georgia, Commanding General IV Corps
General Price, Commanding General 1st Division

Sirs,
I beg to report a successful action fought today by my brigade at Landers Hill on the north flank of the Army. At the order of the commanding general, the Western Brigade stepped out onto the Landers Road moving north by west with the intention of ultimately pivoting south to sweep the enemy moving in front of our glorious 1st Division before Trollinger’s Run. Alas, this was not accomplished, for before us appeared an entire Rebel Division advancing with the apparent intent of crossing Trollinger’s and molesting the right of the corps. I shook out the brigade into battle line, straddling the road with 2 regiments, posting another on a stone wall north of the road to defend against a flank attack, and placing the 3d Colorado Vols., heroes of Rockerville, in brigade reserve. The Rebels at first appeared tentative, but soon came on, engaging us in a hot fight along the entire front which spanned the woods immediately north of the road on the east slope of Landers Hill. Fortunately for us, General Newton’s brigade appeared and deployed on the left. General Price, responding to the urgency of the moment, brought up the remainder of the division filling in behind and to the right of my regiments. The Rebels fought hard but were stopped cold by the combined efforts of the Division. For most of an hour the battle line did not sway 50 yards in either direction as brave men fought and died in place for causes dear to their hearts.

At the crucial moment of the battle it appeared that my left regiment, the 1st Colorado, might be forced to fall back to gain relief from a galling fire of 3 regiments, one of which was nearly on flank. But Chivington’s men held fast to cries of “Glorieta!” until the 3d of our brigade arrived to bolster the position and deliver a telling blow. Shortly thereafter the irregulars of the Indian Home Guard arrived on scene, though it remains unclear whether this was in response to officer command or a spontaneous movement at prospects of additional hair for lodge poles. In any event, the Indian presence delivered another severe blow to enemy morale as Rebels fell back, suddenly and obviously concerned with maintaining possession of personal pelts.

At this point Gen. Price requested that my brigade support Gen. Newton’s forward movement to carry the summit of Landers Hill. This was done, though in the attempt the brave, but reduced, 3d Colorado fell victim to its own aggressiveness -- every officer and man fell in a melee brawl with a Florida regiment. Seeing this, the 1st Colorado on its right became incensed and charged furiously into the Floridians, cutting and slashing and within moments captured that regiment's survivors to a man. Regrettably, Col. Chivington did not adequately secure these prisoners, and they found themselves subjected to the tender mercies of our Indian Guardsmen.

The momentum of these hand-to-hand actions carried our brigade to the top of the hill, with Gen. Newton’s brigade close-in on our left. The Rebels now were retreating pell-mell down the opposite slope. In their haste to leave, a Reb 12lb. Napoleon and crew were left on the field, again to the delight of our savages. The gun remains in our possession. The crew, however, does not as portions of these poor devils could be seen scattered across the hillside. Perhaps the less said here, the better.

A few moments later, the battle was over. In closing, I must commend the skill and professionalism of the entire first division. Generals Newton, Dick, Bartlett and their men performed heroically. And, if I may be permitted, the Rebel foe also fought bravely and with skill. I look forward to once again counting them as countrymen when this unpleasantness is over.

Your Obedient Servant,

Last edited by WJPalmer on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Videos:

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Dearest Lucy,

Your letter lifted my spirits and rejuvenated my disposition.  Those kind, supporting words are sweet nectar for my soul.

However, my love, you must refrain from criticizing General Georgia in your letters.  He is a conniver and rumors are rampant and most likely true that he personally reads the incoming and outgoing mail of all officers under his command.   I send my letters through a trusted courier to a nearby town's post office to avoid his prying eyes.

Two days ago, 12 July, we fought another battle against the Secesh near Tollinger's Run.  A desperate affair, no doubt.  These rebels appear to have an unlimited supply of men.  While General Georgia refuses me replacements for my hard-fighting brigade.  Thus we fight on in an increasingly precarious position, heightened by General Georgia's blatant attempts to send me to my demise.  Again, in this battle, General Georgia did his best to get me killed!  After placing me in charge of 2nd Division when Lt. General Simpson came down with a case of nerves, General Georgia's battle plan was to lure the rebels into attacking my weak division in the center of our defense.  Then, after they overran me, General Georgia would have our two strong divisions attack the rebels from the flanks while they were in the bag.  Fortunately for me, the rebels didn't bite.

Sweet Lucy, I was magnificent; you should be so very proud of your warrior.  On my own initiative, I personally led a battery of guns to support the faltering northern flank of the corps.  With me directing their fire, my guns routed several rebel guns and rained hell's fire on their infantry -- no doubt saving the 1st Division from slaughter.

Then, when our southern flank came under attack from a very powerful force, I personally led a brigade to the rescue, arriving just in time to keep the Secesh from encircling 3rd Division.  My blood boiled and I led the boys in bayonet charges and directed their withering musket fire, standing tall in the saddle while mini-balls whizzed past.

No one on the field contributed more to our victory than myself.

And what does General Georgia give me in return? Nothing!  In his after action report, he doesn't even mention my name, only that Simpson's division saved the day.

Also, most despicable, it seems General Georgia has taken a large bribe of silverware and coffee from Brig. General Juan Santa Maria of the Italian Brigade -- 2nd Division's largest.  I saw with my own eyes a wagon of silverware and one of coffee moved from Maria's camp to General Georgia's storage camp a little over a week ago.  Since than, in two major battles, the Italian Brigade has been held in reserve and not engaged in any of the vicious fighting.  While my poor boys are called on to make incredible sacrifices.

I apologize for burdening you with my plight.  But somehow, writing to you is cathartic and helps me soldier on.

Know this. . . no man on earth has ever loved a woman more than I, you.

I pray each day that we will embrace once more, that I will feel your tender touch again before I die.

Your Loving Husband,
Brig. General Martin Eden
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 pm

This is why historians have to be cautious when using first hand accounts for their books.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 pm

The nerve!
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Digby wrote:This is why historians have to be cautious when using first hand accounts for their books.

Exactly. Who could possibly credit General Eden's expressions of desire for Lucy after seeing that daguerréotype.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 pm

I love your reports and I am anxious to return home and plan what will likely be the final skirmish of the campaign.

What happens next will soon be in the hands of your commanders...

I return Wednesday. Next battle 7/26 (tentative).
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm

After Action Report
For
12 July 1962
Brig Gen.  Juan Santa Maria
Italiana Brigada
“Spirit of the bayonet, Cold as steal”
Union Army
Mission:  Conduct assigned Combat Operations under:  2nd Division Lt. Gen. Simpson
Honorable, 2nd Division Lt. Gen. Simpson, 1st Division: Lt. Gen. Price

Sir this is my AAR for combat operations performed by this unit on 12 July 1962.
You assigned us to occupy and defend the river crossing on the Foster/Williamson Rd.  We were moving in position and I noticed that we would not hold the high ground if the REB Army tried to cross the river in force.  We were moving into position and the order was to fall back to the woods when the enemy arrived.  Shortly after I rcvd a dispatch from you directing my forces to move to the wood line instead of holding the wall do to the enemy height advantage should they attempt to engage us.  We moved into position.

After holding our assigned position we received a dispatch to the river crossing to the east or Merewether, we moved out smartly and took up position in support of cannon battery security adn protect the river crossing from Reb advancement.   We were soon discharged from your command by you sir and assigned to 1st Division: Lt. Gen. Price.  He dispatched us to protect the crossing and guns east of Merewether.  We rcvd some fire as we got into to position.  I placed 2 regiments to face the enemy that Capt. Rotry’s guns was picking with precision and I sent 2 Regiments to the right in case the Rebs were able to overwhelm our boys and cross the rock wall and head south.  But divine intervention prevented such a travesty from occurring.

We only had about a half dozen casualties, guess them Reb guns were too worried about Rotry’s precision gun fire.  We had plenty of time to perform a unit inventory of silver and coffee.  We wanted to make of what we had left after making a campaign contribution General Georgia’s upcoming attempt to be the next President of United States after he dispatches those Rebs to their afterlife.  I hope to be able to stay on as the Costa Rican Ambassador to the US after we terminate this war.

My boys did an excellent job at intercepting two dispatches from that Reb CMDR with a long and unpronounceable last name.  The first dispatch addressee's name was covered with blood and we could not figure out who it was too but the second dispatch was to Barkley and it said “RUNAWAY” well in so many words they did.  I quickly passed this information to higher command.

While I was passing this information I was alerted by the men that we were being charged by Baylor’s Lt Infantry of about 4 or 5 Regiments.  The boys on the right flank moved into position smartly and the boys covering the crossing were ready to rcv the enemy hoard.  It appears that as soon as the enemy saw the brave Italians move flawlessly into defensive position they tuned and at the steam bank and ran back up the hill and over the ridge to safety.  Shortly after we physiologically repelled the attack, all Rebs left the Merewether area.
Soon after I was requested to push south quickly in support of the fight in McClerkin  by Gen Georgia.  We formed up and got ready to move out and we then rcvd a dispatch from Gen Georgia to hold fast the Rebs are running away.

Once again it was with great honor that we served the Army of the United States.

Your humble servant,
Brig. Gen. Juan Santa Maria
Italiana Brigada

Last edited by Morsey on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My spelling and reading sucks!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 am

I see the postwar political manouvering has already begun. What was that about counting chickens?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:30 am

14 July 1962
Brig Gen. Juan Santa Maria

My Dear Sir:

Your contribution was well received here at headquarters, though it was a bit heavy on the coffee and light on the silver. I am certain your next tithing shall correct the oversight.

I remain your obedient servant,

MT Georgia, General Commanding
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:06 am

Sir, I get the hint Sir!!

For as the chicken counting, we have a saying "That every pig has his Saturday!"

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down